Highland Piper

Filed under News

Seattle Mayor Resigns

​A ​gay pride flag hangs on the wall during a Shorecrest GSA meeting. The flag represents the students' solidarity to the LGBTQ community, who have been outspoken in their contempt for the former mayor.

Seattle Mayor, Ed Murray, has resigned among several allegations of sexual assault, leaving Seattle under the care of the interim mayor, Tim Burgess. According to the Seattle Times, all of the supposed sexual assault cases happened when the victims, all men with a personal connection to Murray, were minors. Murray continues to deny these accusations, citing them as political attacks against his leftist agenda.

The most recent accusation came from Murray’s cousin, Joseph Dyer, whose most recent claim was for an assault that occurred in the 1970s at his mother’s home in Long Island, NY. Dyer was 13 at the time. Another case, brought up by Murray’s former foster son, Jeff Simpson, has been validated by investigators. Simpson was also 13 at the time.

Murray, who is the first openly gay mayor in the area, had not originally been planning to resign, but had insisted that he would not run for reelection. Hours after a Seattle Times article had been published detailing the fifth allegation, Murray released a statement terminating his position as mayor as of Wednesday, September 13th. Several organizations, including the Seattle LGBTQ Commission, have been calling for his resignation since the first accusations were unearthed in April. Their sentiment was shared by Shorecrest senior, Reno Williams.

“There is a lot that is unknown, and there is a lot that is not going to be ever known,” stated Williams during an interview, “My personal standpoint on this issue is that I’m choosing not to take one.”

Williams, a prominent LGBTQ figure within the school, insists that while this, “in the right minds, is going to fuel an argument and an ideology that is antiquated and wrong,” it will not cause any major new issues within the community. “There’s definitely plenty of whispers in the halls if you’re listening.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Seattle Mayor Resigns”

1. Jothi on November 8th, 2017 9:40 am

Wow I cant believe that happened. Atleast justice got served!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Seattle Mayor Resigns

News

The Parkland School Shooting- What does it mean for Shorecrest Students?

• Seattle Mayor Resigns

News

Tide Pod Challenge

• Seattle Mayor Resigns

News

Sexual Assault

• Seattle Mayor Resigns

News

Shorecrest’s Option for Non Binary Bathrooms

• Seattle Mayor Resigns

Interest

How the Legalization of Marijuana is Affecting Shorecrest Students

• Seattle Mayor Resigns

News

Net Neutrality Falls Through the Cracks

• Seattle Mayor Resigns

Interest

Spotlight on Community Service

• Seattle Mayor Resigns

News

Hamlin Park Isn’t Out of the Woods Yet

• Seattle Mayor Resigns

News

Community Mosque Vandalized

• Seattle Mayor Resigns

News

Otis: An Inside Look at Shorecrest’s Mascot

The Student News Site of Shorecrest High School
Seattle Mayor Resigns